Monday, July 20, 2009

New Jersey Blueberry Bunch



Buy at Art.com

I guess I have been in a cooking mood lately because I have mostly been blogging recipes... I have a couple of themes already in my mind but I guess the beautiful weather inspires me to eat.
The blueberry is New Jersey's official state fruit even though Maine is the leader of lowbush blueberry production in the United States and Michigan is the leader in highbush production. Go figure.

This is a recipe my grand mother always used to make with cherries but it can be beautifully adapted to blueberries. It cooks quickly (about 15 minutes).

2 lb blueberries
1 dash salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp butter

Mix blueberries, salt and sugar. Let the juice develop by simmering with low heat in a covered pot. Knead butter and flour together and add to the blueberries while stirring constantly, boil briefly.

Serve while still warm with Spaetzle (Tradtional German Egg Noodles)!

No comments:

Post a Comment